Similar to their name, mountain gorillas live in mountains, at elevations of 8,000 to 13,000 feet. Mountain Gorillas have thicker fur, and more of it, compared to other great apes. Their fur helps to survive in a habitat where temperatures often drop below freezing.
Mountain Gorillas leaves in three separate locations: The Virunga National Park in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda and Mgahinga National park in Uganda. In summary, Mountain Gorillas are found in Virunga ranges.
Among the life time experiences, a gorilla trekking safari is a must do adventure for every living human being before meeting his or her creator. In this article we have compiled ten strong reasons why mountain gorilla trekking should be a must done:
- Mountain Gorilla trekking helps in their conservation campaign – they are indeed endangered species! Which needs immediate protection. People in their surrounding areas of habitats do encroaches the land, poach them, poison them among other inhuman actions. Such human acts put Mountain Gorillas in great danger and by avoiding the vice we need to empower local communities by offering them alternatives and share the benefits of Gorilla trekking together through better services like education, clean water, better health services, jobs and so on. While trekking Mountain Gorillas therefore, you are contributing to the conservation of Gorillas and their habitat.
- Take on challenging Terrain – Since mountain Gorillas lives in mountains, trekkers need some fitness to reach them. It’s hard work to reach the gorillas. It requires navigating uphill and downhill through thick tangles of vines, thorns, and roots. The appropriately named Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park is only accessible by foot. Trekking mountain Gorillas require physical footing to and from the home range of Mountain Gorillas. The process is strenuous by the thrill obtains when you are facing with a group of Mountain Gorillas erases the bad experience obtains while searching for them. In other words, its healthy to exercise your body
- There is a possibility of getting affordable Gorilla permits – the prices are not uniform but DRC Virunga National Park Gorilla permit is pocket friendly at US$400. Uganda Gorilla permit currently cost US$700 while that of Rwanda at US$1500. When you are to visit all the three Rwanda National Parks, expect to get a discounted Gorilla permit. Currently, Uganda is offering COVID-19 relief discounted Gorilla permit since 1st December 2020 to 31st March 2021.
- Mountain Gorillas is rare species – with low production rates and being highly endangered, keeps them in small number. According to the last census conducted in 2016, the world still hosts 1063 but Uganda has almost half of the world’s existing Mountain Gorillas.
- Expect to encounter other primates crossing your trails – While in searching for Mountain Gorillas, trekkers are expected to meet other primates crossing your trails. Among the primates you may see include Vervet monkeys, black and white colobus monkeys, Golden Monkeys among others. This is true because Mountain Gorillas co-exist with primate species and their habitants are surrounded by series of unique attractions like vegetation, the rocks, birds, insects, drainage features to mention but a few.
- Mountain Gorillas stays in silent environment – In the dense tropical forest of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park in Uganda, the mountainous Virunga National Park of Democratic Republic of Congo and Volcanoes National Park Rwanda offer a thrilling experience. The silent environment enables the guest to meditate, relax and refresh their minds hence erasing the stress obtained from the noisy and polluted urban centres. Health wise, the silent environment with unpolluted air treats the mind and lungs respectively.
- Meet different Gorilla families with unique characters -Each Gorilla groups exhibits different traits. That is why we the tour operators, advises guests to visit more than one Gorilla family to have satisfying experience. Some Gorilla families have fewer members while others have many plus babies and or more than one silverback. Each Gorilla member evidences different character when playing, feeding, fighting among others.
- Mountain Gorilla destinations are easily reached – When you fly to Entebbe Airport, you can easily reach BINP and MGNP by road or Air. Fly to Kigali Airport, still you can reach south western Uganda and Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda. Virunga National Park can also be accessed from Goma International Airport or from Rwanda and Uganda via border posts.
- Other attraction found in Mountain Gorilla parks – the amazing Virunga ranges consisting of active and dormant Volcanoes which leaves a lot to be desired! The golden monkeys in Volcanoes National Park and Mgahinga National Park are amazing, unique vegetation, more than 35 bird species, the drainage features, the amazing and unique land terrain among others.
- All classes of accommodation surrounding Mountain Gorilla habitat – Ranging from Luxury to Budget accommodation are found. It depends on the budget and preference of the guest. High end visitors can sleep in Luxury Hotels/ camps/tents, average guests in Mid-range while low budget clients in Budget accommodation.